Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Happy Mother's Day from the cats...

We are very fortunate to have wonderful neighbors who take care of our cats for us when we are away. Since they are surrogate 'parents' for them, the cats give them Mother's Day and Father's Day cards each year... ;-) This card is this year's Mother's Day card. The stamp was perfect to depict our three cats, who all have coloring that is black, gray or a combination thereof.

One of the fun things about the Krafty Kats group I belong to is that each month we take turns putting together a kit of papers and embellishments for each member and the next month we have 'show and tell' for all the cards and projects that were made using the kit supplies. There is usually so much in each kit that we end up with lots of leftover scraps and embellishments, so I'm trying to use them up. The black and white components of this card are all from one of our previous kits.

Our cats are all females, and since this is a Mother's Day card, I added some pink accents. I also used last week's sketch from Splitcoast Stamper's sketch challenge. I don't know who the patterned paper is from, but the floral papers are double sided, which makes them good for this kind of layout. I used a Martha Stewart punch to cut the edges of the black and white vertical strips, then adhered them to the floral panel and wrapped some grosgrain ribbon around the seam. I then layered a black flower sticker strip on top of the ribbon.

The cat image was cut out using an oval Nestabilities die, then I doodled some circles around the edges and colored them in with a pink Copic Atyou Spica marker. I then matted it on black and pink layers that were cut out using the Labels Three Nestabilites. Each of the mats also has doodling on the borders. The flowers were matted on a pink scalloped circle to make them stand out more and a black and white flower button was affixed to the center with a pink embroidery floss bow.

I added some of the same elements to the inside of the card. I matted the corners with the polka dot scalloped paper and added the pink matted floral paper panel. The sentiment was stamped using a pink marker and then I went over it with the pink Spica marker to give it a little sparkle.

It's a busy card, but it was fun to make and I used up quite a bit of the leftover kit! Hope your week is going well. Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

Janine said...

Hey Robin... Lovely card!!! Hope you are well!

Julie Koerber said...

This is the cutest thing ever! How darling that your cats give your neighbors a card!!! Love that bold contrast!

shulsart said...

This is adorable, love the black and white (the pink is ok, lol) And that kittie image is a riot, they are just so cute. Great card, Robin, I am sure it was much appreciated.

Jenny Gropp said...

Oh Robin --- I love this!! My cat got me nothin, little shedding ingrate. I remember this kit - you used it up wonderfully. That image is perfect! I really like how you used the image in an oval and then the nestie frame behind it. That is one frillllly feminine flower! The puurrrrfect touch.