Sunday, September 13, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mom!


Many years ago, a group of my mother's friends nicknamed her Rose, because she always comes up smelling like a rose! As a result, I have amassed a collection of card making supplies that have a rose theme. For my mother's birthday, which is today, I made this very rosy card.

The roses are from a sheet of 3D decoupage flowers that are die cut in successively smaller layers. They come in black and white with silver or gold accents. The sheet I used had the silver accents and I colored them with a combination of Copic markers and chalks. The paper has a glossy finish, so the Copics don't blend well, but adding the chalk on top while the alcohol from the markers was still a little wet helped to smooth out the stroke lines a bit.

This shot gives you an idea of how the different layers are stacked up.
The patterned papers are all Stampin' UP!'s Bella Rose collection, the sentiment stamp, striped ribbon and crocheted flowers are also from Stampin' UP!.

For the envelope, I used the same papers, but stamped the smaller rose from SU's A Rose is a Rose set (see, I told you I have a lot of rose-themed supplies!), cut it out and popped it up to fill in a white spot on the patterned paper.

It's a bit over the top, but hopefully she'll like it!

Happy Birthday, Mom! We love you!

6 comments:

shulsart said...

Robin, I am sure your Mom will love this card. It is very "rosy" and very elegant. You sure are the "cutting" Queen. Just beautiful, my friend. Tell your Mom Happy Birthday.

Loopster said...

Stunning!!! I'm hoping she loved it as much as I do!!!

Silke Ledlow said...

Robin - it's not over the top at all - I think it's so beautiful and feminine!!! I know she will l.o.v.e it!!!! Hugs ~S~

Janine said...

WOW!! How pretty is this Robin!!Hope all is well with you!!

Carla said...

wOW! This is exquisite! Over the top is my favorite technique!!

Jenny Gropp said...

I really like how well this turned out -- great job putting all the elements together! It is not too much at all.