Saturday, October 3, 2009

Happy World Card Making Day!

Hello! Happy World Card Making Day to my fellow card makers! For those of you who are unfamiliar with this holiday, World Card Making Day is a day especially for card makers around the world to:
  • Celebrate the creativity of handmade cards and the personal connection that they create between friends and family
  • Kick off (and get a head start on) the holiday card-making season.

This is my first time 'celebrating', but since I'm home today with nothing on my agenda, it seems like a fun way to spend the day! To learn more about it and find ways you can participate, if you're interested, click on the WCMD blinkie on the left side of my blog, or click on the link above to the WCMD web site.

The project I'm posting here is a card folder I made for my mother and gave to her on her birthday a few weeks ago. Last Christmas, I had made a card folder for her that contained four birthday cards (see
this post for details) and later she mentioned that she was also in need of get well cards, so this folder contained four get well cards.

I used the All Boxed Up Timeless Template from Papertrey Ink (PTI) to create the card folder, using PTI's Gold Shimmer card stock. For the front cover, I used a piece of Bitty Dot Basics in Ripe Avocado, then I added a strip of Italian paper across the middle. The stamped image is from the With Sympathy set and was stamped with Memento Bamboo Leaves and Potter's Clay and then colored using Copic markers.


I used a Martha Stewart butterfly punch to make the butterfly, and I stamped it using some of the flourishes from the With Sympathy set's main image, and then outlined it with a gold leaf pen. The second picture shows the folder when it is open, with two cards in each pocket.



The two cards I'm posting were both made using the
Quilter's Sampler set. For the first card, I created a rectangular 'quilt' using two different squares from the set and colored them with Copic markers to match the papers I had selected. The spool of thread was stamped and cut out, then wrapped with some of the Gold tinsel from the Gold Collection. I stamped the needle from the set, cut out the eye and threaded it with some gold wire, then stuck it in my spool of thread. The scissors were stamped and colored with Copic markers and I colored over the handles with a gold Spica marker to give them some sparkle.

For the second card, I did basically the same things, using slightly different colors, and I used a scissor charm instead of the stamped scissors. The sentiment was stamped with Versamark directly on the patterned paper and heat embossed using Powder Keg embossing powder (China Jade, I think).

Sorry for such a long post - thanks for hanging in there with me if you made it this far! I'll save the other two cards for another post!

Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy your weekend!

5 comments:

Jenny Gropp said...

These are awesome cards Robin, the pics don't do them justice. Your card folder is wonderful -- you do such a nice job putting packages like this together! A LOVELY and thoughtful gift!

Silke Ledlow said...

Happy WCMD Robin!!!

Look at these gorgeous cards!!! I especially like the quilted set!!! Perfect project!!!

Have fun at the Copic Class tomorrow!!! I'll be thinking of you guys :)!!! Hugs ~S~

Joan Ervin said...

Happy WCMD, Robin!!! I love all your projects...the card folder is just wonderful and the quilted cards are sooo beautiful!!!! Such pretty coloring, too, and I LOVE the stamps you used!!!!

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Robin! Thanks for sharing your blog with the Moxie Fab World!...and Happy World Card Making Day!

~Cath

Holly said...

These cards are adorable!!!!!!!! I have that quilt set and I still haven't inked it up! Ack! LOVE your card folder!