Thursday, October 2, 2008

Spooktacular Halloween

I'm not usually too big on Halloween, but Wendy has challenged each of us on the design team to make several Halloween-themed cards, so I've done a few lately and have been having fun with them.

I stamped the kitty with Ranger Distress Ink in Black Soot and then embossed him with some Distress Embossing Powder, also in black soot. The Distress embossing powders create a rough texture, unlike regular embossing powders, so it seemed appropriate for this spooky cat.

For the background, I punched a circle out of a piece of Eclipse masking tape and used the piece I had cut the circle from to create my moon shape and airbrushed with a yellow Copic marker. I then covered the moon with the circle I had punched, and also masked the cat image and the area where he is standing, and airbrushed the sky using several shades of blue. Then I covered the sky area and airbrushed in some grass to complete the little scene. I edged the image with a silver leafing pen and mounted it on a mat of shimmery gold paper, and then matted that with white card stock.

It was the darkest blue in the sky that steered me to choose the non-traditional blue card base for this Halloween card. I ran my card base through my Wizard with a Fiskars texture plate to dry emboss the spider web. To highlight the spider web and make it glisten a little, I rubbed some metallic rub-on paste over the raised portions. I adhered the stamped image and its mats on the card base with some foam tape to raise it up.

Finally, I stamped the sentiment and cut it out and embossed it with a Spellbinder's label die. While the tag was still in the die, I airbrushed the background with the same yellow I used for the moon. The last touch was to knot a length of yellow binding tape around the front of the card.

Whew, this was a long one...sorry about that! Hope you have had a good week!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend!

Card details:
Card stock: Stampin' UP!; Marco's Paper Stardreams Stationery
Stamps: Repeat Impressions
Inks: Ranger Distress Ink - Black Soot
Embossing Powder: Ranger Distress Ink - Black Soot
Markers: Copic and Spica
Other: Krylon Silver Leafing Pen; Martha Stewart ribbon; 7 Gypsies brads; metallic rub-on paste; Fiskars spider web texture plate

1 comment:

The Rubber Maid said...

OOOOH, that cat is scary,but since I love Halloween I will try and behave around him. Don't forget tomorrow is World Cardmaking Day and it will be fun to blog hop. I plan to join in the fun. Have a great weekend. Pat